Who We Are
Aequilibrium is a fast-moving, and even faster growing software development company that focuses on creating unforgettable onboarding products and services for the Fintech world. We work with progressive companies that strive for change and excellence in their services and we help them achieve these goals then blow them out of the water with our talented team, service and products. Every aspect of our company – from our hiring to internal team initiatives right through to our product development – is thoughtfully designed and engineered to help us deliver the most elegant and delightful experience you can imagine.
We turn user experiences into life experiences.
Who You Are
We are looking for a Director of Finance to help us oversee all finance, accounting and corporate services processes. Reporting to the CEO, the Director of Finance works closely with the senior leadership of the different departments to monitor projects and ensure profitability guidelines are followed.This position is responsible for ensuring timely and relevant monitoring and reporting on the company's projects and finances.
This includes overseeing the full accounting process, contract administration and financial monitoring of client projects, managing support and company staff through the monthly accounting cycle, forecasting and budgeting, and ensuring business policies, standards and profit objectives are met.
- Acts as a member of the Senior Leadership Team, including participation in strategic meetings
- Participates in the company's annual and quarterly strategic planning sessions
- Develops departmental goals that are aligned with the strategic plan, and executes action plans to achieve them
- Drives a culture of financial stewardship and accountability that ensures continuous profitable growth and financial stability
- Provides leadership across the company to implement processes that drive efficiency.
- Ensures that AEQ is a good place to work
- Contributes to the overall running and direction of the company
- Identifies and recruits the talent and capabilities necessary to develop Finance and Corporate Services to meet AEQ's strategic objectives
- Holds regularly scheduled, rarely missed 1:1s with all direct reports
- Distributes work among direct reports, assigning activities to best utilize the talent
- Ensures that all direct reports are scheduling their workload appropriately, maximizing productive time
- Evaluates direct reports' strengths and weaknesses on an on-going basis and provides training and coaching to build strengths via direct feedback and regular performance evaluations
- Directs, educates, and mentors the junior team members on best practices, emerging technology, and other areas where they need assistance. Assists with decision making when needed
- Leads and develops, manages the HR department, including documenting the department's recruitment and interview process, coordinating with other departments and ensuring best practices are implemented for job descriptions, performance review templates, peer review processes, process flows, and process templates
- Interviews, hires, trains, conducts performance evaluations, motivates, and disciplines (including termination) direct reports
- Resolves problems, issues, and customer complaints, as required, in accordance with an appropriate escalation process
Finance and Operations
Cash and Working Capital Management
- Owns and maintains the cash budget, and creates strategies for managing cash flow and investments
- Reviews and authorizes payments
- Manage online payments approval
- Manage bank and investment accounts and the respective agreements
- Works with department heads on creating internal processes to manage cash and collections effectively
- Remits income tax instalments and payments on a timely basis
- Directs the Controller and accounting team in support of the above objectives
Client Contracts and Profitability
- Advises management on key terms and issues within proposals and client contracts.
- Participate in pitch / proposal process by advising financial strategy and corporate information.
- Analyses and advises on achieving account profitability, and assists with annual rate negotiations with clients.
- Drives Accounts success with client profitability by educating on the different levers of profitability.
- Reviews and advises on billing rate structure, and maintains acceptable contribution margins.
- Reviews client contracts for terms and requirements and maintains and updates as required.
- Sets client gross margin targets and works with Accounts to achieve these goals.
Financial Planning and Budgeting
- Maintains the monthly forecasting process.
- Works with Accounts to maintain revenue forecasts on a monthly basis.
- Meets monthly with the executive team to review the forecast and assumptions.
- Prepares and maintains an annual budget for management approval and integration with the financial reporting system.
Month-end Processes and Financial Statements
- Directs and controls the accounting team to achieve the following objectives:
- Ensure all necessary accruals, provisions, depreciation, and other entries for full accrual accounting are made monthly.
- Meets with Accounts to review month-end project financials.
- Analyses and advises on revenue, expenses, and balance sheet items.
- Attends departmental head meetings and presents finance updates as required.
- Meets with external accountants to review annual financial statements and make year-end adjustments.
- Prepare corporate income tax returns with supporting working schedules
- Prepares management reporting for the executive team, senior management and Accounts.
- Prepare and maintain dashboard and financial metrics for reporting.
- Responsible for complete and accurate monthly financial and operational reporting within agreed schedule and due dates.
Financial System Management
- Directs and controls the accounting team to achieve the following objectives
- Maintains and manages Chart of Accounts and all dimensions.
- Maintains and oversees the accounting software user base and access controls.
- Manages financial system structure and set-up.
- Manages licence renewal for the accounting and related software.
- Manages system design and report writing.
- Examines, recommends and leads the selection and implementation of appropriate accounting and related software tools.
Overall Business Process Management
- Oversees Cloud Storage administration.
- Coaches and trains accounting staff, and ensures cross training of important responsibilities.
- Ensures the Accounting team develops a deep understanding of the accounting software, and its application to the business and their individual needs.
- Drives efficiencies and timeliness in reporting (minimizes monthly reporting cycles).
- Drives efficiencies in finance and corporate services operations.
- Drives overall profitability through acting as a partner to the leadership group.
- Drives the effort and compliance within AEQ to ensure SRED claim opportunities are maximized.
- Ensures compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Identifies internal control issues and establish processes to mitigate risk.
- Maintains process documentation for the accounting and corporate services area (manuals for billings and other various duties).
- Oversees SRED data collection and support for tax returns.
- Provides leadership in the use and leverage of the company’s MIS tools available including the company’s financial management software.
- Works with IT to budget planned computer hardware/software purchases, and documents and summarizes any suggestions for improvement.
- Works with outside professionals for insurance, legal, and other services as needed.
- Oversees human resource department
- Ensures the departments effectively manage employee contracts, payroll, and company benefits plan, vacation records etc.
- With HR, evaluates staff benefit coverage periodically.
- Works with HR and outside consultants to maximize the opportunity of receiving government grant and funding.
- Manages grant applications.
- With HR, build relationship with local post-secondary institutions to maximize the benefit of internship programs.
- Oversees and approves all HR correspondences including but not limited to employment offers, employment agreements, promotion letters, and salary review letters.
- Oversees the HR department’s management of the on-boarding process for new employees (interns, contract employees, and permanent employees).
- Ensures compliance with government reporting requirements including but not limited to ROE, WCB, T4, T4A, and T5 issuance.
- Identifies and approves and updates HR policies and regulations.
- Ensures HR properly maintains all employee records (payroll, benefits coverage, personnel files, vacations, etc.).
- Manages insurance coverage, renewals, and records.
- Ensures compliance with privacy act and other legislations.
- Assists in reviewing and responding to legal requests, correspondences, and lawsuits.
- Works with external legal counsel to ensure prompt and proper corporate filings.
- Executes and documents all shareholder transactions properly.
- Ensures that all contract templates are current and align with corporate strategies.
- Manages all lease agreements and maintains good relationship with landlords.
- Manages all records for legal contracts.
- Works with legal counsel and external consultants to execute tax effective strategies.
- Oversees office administration operations.
- Creates and updates procedures on tasks relating to the duties of this position.
- Protects the company against wasteful, inefficient, unsafe, and fraudulent practices on an ongoing basis.
- Other tasks, as assigned.
What We’re Looking For
- Professional accounting designation (CPA).
- Post-secondary education, preferably in a relevant field (business, communications, marketing, psychology, etc).
- 5 years of relevant business experience and 3 years of experience as a manager.
- Played a key role in expanding software companies both in Canada and US (multiple office locations, US expansion strategy - subsidiary vs. affiliate vs. associate etc.)
- Understanding of the company environment within North America.
- Experience with software organizations. Bonus points for expertise in fintech expertise, and in software companies that combine both professional services and product / SaaS.
- Strong track record of managing financial performance in a project-based environment.
- Strong track record of mentoring and developing direct reports to the next level of performance.
- Quickbook expertise, both with accounting and payroll.
- Highly organized with the ability to handle multiple projects/deadlines and multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Project accounting knowledge with a strong understanding of the financial and project cost accounting practices and procedures necessary to effectively control project financial outcomes.
- Ability to develop and communicate accurate budgets, forecasts, and financial reports.
- Ability to monitor financial performance and identify red flags.
- Experience building and adapting defined systems, processes, and procedures within a company.
- Proactively initiates, develops, and maintains effective and cooperative relationships with a wide array of personalities and team members. Displays conscientiousness and service towards others.
- Gives and receives feedback in a constructive manner.
- Intermediate computer and digital literacy skills (Microsoft Windows / Apple OSX, Microsoft Office, Internet/Web, Social Media).
- Advanced organizational, interpersonal, and verbal/written skills.
Aequilibrium is proud to have been selected as a Top 5 Finalist for the Small Business BC Best Employer Awards for two consecutive years. We're big on technology and creativity, and we believe that through teamwork (whether that manifests itself in your daily work or your next ping pong challenge) we can reach amazing feats together.
Our office is located near Waterfront in the financial district, surrounded by pretty sweet coffee shops and eateries and educational accelerators like BrainStation. We are close to main bus routes and literally steps away from several skytrain access points. Our building is fully equipped with bike storage lockers and a full-sized gym on the ground floor.
If you feel you’ll thrive in this environment and make a difference, you should definitely apply!
Get Social With Us!
Twitter | Blog | LinkedIn